A strikingly beautiful new building, the
Hamilton County Courthouse, was dedicated in 1913. It stands where the
earlier structure had been struck by lightning in the violent storm of 7
May 1910. The new building, designed by Reuben H. Hunt, who began his
architectural career in the area in the 1880s, cost $350,000. It featured
Tennessee gray marble, a glazed tile roof, and a colored-glass dome. On
the courthouse grounds were placed statues honoring Confederate General A.
P. Stewart of Tennessee, who campaigned in the area in 1863, and John
Ross, Indian Chief, Loyal Cherokee, Great American.