Starting your Business Checklist:
Be aware that the checklist below is not comprehensive, nor does every business need to do all of these steps. These are merely here to make the resources and forms readily available.
1. Search if your business name is available. (Search existing businesses).
2. Choose a business structure and obtain some information on taxes See the IRS small business checklist for help with taxes.
3. Register with the Secretary of State. (Instructions for registering with the secretary of state).
4. Obtain a business license from the County Clerk within 20 days after commencement of business. Applications are available at the County Clerk's office or on-line. Under the Tennessee Business Tax Act most businesses, vocations, and occupations operating within Hamilton County, TN are required to obtain a business license and annually report their gross receipts to the Tennessee Department of Revenue.
5. If you are opening a food establishment, tattoo or body piercing establishment, bed and breakfast establishment, public swimming pool, hotel/motel, school, or camp, then you must provide the health department with specific information. (Health department's requirements for businesses).