to the privacy of the visitors to this website. This policy addresses the collection, use and security of
information that may be obtained through use of the Hamilton County, TN website, and access to that information.
Information Collected and How it is Used
During your visit to the Hamilton County, Tennessee website, the county gathers and stores the following information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally.
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address and domain name used. The IP address is a number assigned to your Internet service provider or to your computer. We use the IP to direct Web site content to you. This address can be translated to determine the domain name of your service provider.
- The Web browser you used (examples: Firefox, Chrome, or Edge).
- The Operating system you used (examples: Windows, Linux, or Mac).
- The date and time you visited the website.
- The webpages or services you accessed at the website.
- The website you visited to get to the Hamilton County, Tennessee website (examples: Google, Bing, Chattanooga.gov)
This information is collected and analyzed by the Hamilton County, Tennessee to improve the content of our web content and services.
The Hamilton County, Tennessee website does not collect personal information unless the visitor voluntarily provides information by sending an email, completing an online form or online application. Examples of forms and applications on this website include:
- Surveys used to gather public opinion and feedback
- Requests for County services
- Reports for an issue, problem or crime
- Applications for employment or volunteer positions
- Registration for County-sponsored classes or activities
- Online applications used to complete services with the County
The voluntary personal information collected using online forms depends on the form or service you are conducting with the County. Services available through an online form can also be completed in person, by mail, by phone or through fax, depending on the service, if you choose not to submit your information over the Internet. The information collected may not be limited to text characters but might also include audio, video or graphic information formats. This information may be stored in a database or sent to County employees via email. We use the information collected to respond to your query or complete the service you have requested. We may also use information collected to improve our services. All information, including survey, email information, or form data may be shared internally with other departments within the extent permitted by law. The information will not be distributed externally except as required by the Tennessee Open Records Act. Survey data, if released, will only be provided in an aggregated format.
Hamilton County, Tennessee does not:
- Collect or sell information for commercial marketing;
- Provide personal information to private organizations; or
- Share any personal information with other agencies or persons if prohibited by law.
Some County projects involve collaboration with other local or state government agencies. Voluntary personal information submitted to the Hamilton County, Tennessee to express interest in or make comments about such projects may be shared with the other agencies involved.
Email Subscription Lists
The Hamilton County, Tennessee website offers visitors the ability to subscribe to email distribution lists. Visitors are free to unsubscribe should they not want to receive future communications from the County. A valid email address must be provided when subscribing or unsubscribing from email lists. All other personally identifiable information is optional. Email lists are kept private and are not disclosable under the Open Records Act.
In the state of Tennessee, there are laws to ensure that government is open and transparent. The public has a right to access appropriate records and information entrusted to the County government.
Security Information and Disclaimer
The Hamilton County, Tennessee uses industry standard practices to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal identifiable information, including "firewalls" and encryption (Secure Socket Layer) technology. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access. "Perfect" security however, does not exist on the Internet. Unless a particular Web page on the Hamilton County, Tennessee website indicates that encryption technology is being used, the user should not assume that information submitted through that Web page to the Hamilton County, Tennessee Web server will be treated as confidential. Visual cues (an unbroken key or locked lock) report to the visitor that the online service is secure through a given Web page. If a user submits information to the Hamilton County, Tennessee's Web server through a Web page containing visual indicators of active encryption technology, the Hamilton County, Tennessee will take all reasonable precautions to safeguard the confidentiality of such information, but shall nevertheless not be held liable for any injury caused by the disclosure of that information, whether caused by security breach, accident, inadvertence or any other act resulting in disclosure.
Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this Web site are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under all state Computer Trespass laws and federal statutes including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.