Annual Business Processes

Renew your Business License

Go to the County Clerk's page for Business License details.

Online Filing For Tangible Business Personal Property

The Assessor’s Office is excited to offer online filing for Business Personal Property. Instead of filling out your Schedule B on the paper that is mailed to you and mailing it back or bringing it to our office, you can conveniently fill it out on your computer or your phone using the PIN that is on your Schedule B form. If you did not get your PIN or form, please contact our office for one. To get to the Online Filing System, click here..

Pay State Business Taxes

Go to Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (new tab) to pay your state business taxes. For Standard business licenses, at the end of the business tax year, a tax return stating annual gross receipts is filed with the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Beginning June 2018, Tennessee business tax must be filed through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP). For Minimal Business licenses, no annual tax return is required.

Occupancy Tax Information for Hotels and Motels

The following forms may require Adobe Acrobat Reader (new tab) to view.

Occupancy Tax Forms

The Hamilton County Trustee is charged with the responsibility of collecting hotel-motel occupancy taxes for Hamilton County, the City of Chattanooga, the City of East Ridge, the City of Red Bank and the City of Collegedale, however the owner of the hotel acts as an agent of the County and City when receiving tax money from guests.

Timely filing of occupancy tax reports and payments is essential. At the close of each month, both reports and monies are due in the Trustee’s office no later than the 20th of the following month. For example, occupancy taxes collected during the month of June must be in our office by July 20th. The one exception to this rule occurs when the 20th of the month falls on a weekend. In that instance, the deadline will be extended to Monday of that week. Please be aware that in addition to interest and penalty, Public Act 2004, Chapter No. 900 sets the fine for delinquent hotel-motel tax payments at $50.00 per day and clarifies the additional authority needed to successfully collect the County and City’s money.

On behalf of Hamilton County, the City of Chattanooga, the City of East Ridge, the City of Red Bank, and the City of Collegedale, I want thank each of you who remit the hotel-motel taxes on time. For those few who are delinquent, I encourage you to bring your accounts up to date and exercise diligence in keeping them current. Please call or stop by my office anytime that I may be of assistance to you. If you have any questions in regards to occupancy tax, contact 423-209-7270.

Respectfully yours, Bill Hullander Trustee

Tangible Personal Property Tax Information (a.k.a. Personalty Taxes)

Tangible Personal Property is defined as assets owned by the taxpayer and used or held for use in the business or profession. This includes computers, furniture, fixtures, vehicles, telephones, machinery and equipment, supplies, and all raw materials. The exception for this tax is finished goods in the hands of the manufacturer and the inventories of merchandise held for sale or exchange. One of the most common components used to differentiate “personal property” from “real property” is whether it is movable (personal) or affixed (real).

The tax is based upon information furnished to the Assessor or Property each year by the business. Each business owner must provide a detailed list of all tangible personal property owned by the business. The Assessor then determines the value of your personal property based on the information supplied.

In Tennessee, Tangible Personal Property is assessed at 30% of its value for commercial and industrial property.

It is the duty of the taxpayer to fully list all tangible personal property, to place a correct value on the property and to sign and return the schedule prior to the due date. If the schedule is not returned prior to the due date, a forced assessment is given.

If you need assistance or if you have additional questions regarding Tangible Personal Property, please call 423-209-7323.

Important Dates

  • February 1st: Tangible Personal Property Schedules mailed to each business owner by this date.
  • March 1st: Tangible Personal Property Schedules should be returned by this date.
  • May 20th: Assessments should be complete and change notices mailed.
  • First Monday of June: County Board of Equalization meets for appeals regarding Tangible Personal Property Schedules.
  • September 1st: Last day to file an amended Tangible Personal Property Schedule for the previous tax year
  • October 1st: Tax Billing by the Hamilton County Trustee

Frequently Asked Questions about Tangible Personal Property (a.k.a. Personalty Taxes)

Question: How do I Close my Business and licenses?
Answer: Here's where to start closing your business. You take care of closing your licenses through the County Clerk.

Question: What's the difference between Real Property and Personal Property?
Answer: Real property is the real estate (buildings & land) while Personal Property is for assets used in a business (furniture & machines)

Question: Who has to report Tangible Personal Property?
Answer: Every business in Tennessee is required to file a schedule annually. This should be filed with the Property Assessor in the county where the business is located.

Question: When is the Tangible Personal Property schedule due?
Answer: The schedule is to be completed, signed and returned to the Property Assessor on or before March 1st of each year.

Question: What is considered to be Tangible Personal Property?
Answer: Tangible Personal Property is considered to be property used or held for use that is in the taxpayer’s business or profession.

Question: What if I've sold the Tangible Personal Property?
Answer: Notify the Assessor of Property immediately and make sure that all documentation has been submitted in writing to the attention of the Tangible Personal Property department.

Question: Who do I call if I still have questions regarding Tangible Personal Property?
Answer: Please call 423-209-7323

Other Assessor of Property Questions

Note: The following links will open to another government website or government-affiliated page in a new tab.