Building Inspection Department

The Building Inspection Department is responsible for the enforcement of the County’s adopted codes.
The County adopted these building codes on September 15, 2021: These codes went into effect January 1, 2022:

  • International Building Code (2018)
  • International Residential Code (2018)
  • International Plumbing Code (2018)
  • International Mechanical Code (2018)
  • International Fuel Gas Code (2018)
  • International Fire Code (2018)
  • International Swimming Pool & Spa Code (2018)
  • International Energy Conservation Code (2018)
  • National Electrical Code (2020)
  • ANSI (National Standard) Accessibility Code (2017)
  • NFPA Life Safety Code 101 (2018)

Read more about the International Code Council.

Question: When is a building permit required?
Answer: A building permit is required for any new, alteration, addition or repair to a structure.
Permits are not required for:

  • Storage buildings 10’ x 20’ or less that do not have plumbing or electrical installed.
  • Fences not over 7’ in height
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep, and are not greater than 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground
  • Swings and other playground equipment
  • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route

Question: Can the property owner purchase a building permit for their own residence??
Answer: Yes. An owner of property may construct a single residence once every two (2) years, for their own use, and not for resale, lease or rent. Anyone hired by the homeowner would be considered a prime contractor or a construction manager, and they are not exempt from the license requirements. The attached affidavit (State Homeowner Affidavit) must be signed by the homeowner requesting a permit for their residence.


Many of these resources are stand-alone and thus open in a new tab.

Building Permit (Online Application)

Building permits, Electric permits, Gas permits, Mechanical permits, and Plumbing permits

Building & Other Permits

Building permits for various construction projects are available here as well as complementary resources

Building Permit Report Search

See building permits applied for in the Hamilton county area using this online search.

Sewer Information

The Water and Wastewater Treatment Authority (WWTA) handles sewer regulations and fees.

Septic Information & Forms

Applications and guidelines for installation of septic tanks are available here.

Landscape Requirements

The details of Hamilton County landscaping requirements

Zoning Regulations

For information on zoning rules in Hamilton County and the cities surrounding the county.

Highway Department

For information on Hamilton county Required permits, Rules and Regulations for Driveway tiles and utility cuts can be Found here.

Safety Information

Flood Resources

Information on how to prepare for floods.

Disaster Preparedness

Tips on preventing damage and storing your resources safely.

Safety in Extreme Heat

Methods of protecting vulnerable groups from extreme heat.

Disaster Safety for Renters

What to know about disasters before renting

Local Building Inspection Offices

Inspections and forms may change depending on where your building is located. The following give contact information for inspection departments for nearby municipalities.

Chattanooga (District 1)

You can call 643-5800 from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

Collegedale (District 2 C)

You can call 468-1967 from 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.

East Ridge (District 2 E)

You can call 867-7711 from 7:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Lakesite (District 3 LS)

You can call 842-2433 from 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

Ridgeside (District 2 R)

You can call 622-2613 from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Note: Ridgeside does not do it's own inspections or construction permits. Use Hamilton County's forms if you need a construction permit.

Red Bank (District 3 R)

You can call 877-1103 from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

Note: The City of Red Bank handles all local permits.

Walden (District 3 W)

You can call 896-4362 from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Note: Walden does not do it's own inspections or construction permits. Use Hamilton County's forms if you need a construction permit.

Lookout Mountain (District 3 L)

You can call 821-1226 from 7:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Signal Mountain (District 3 S)

You can call 886-2177 from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

Soddy-Daisy (District 3 SD)

You can call 332-5323 from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

Address & Contact Information

Google MapsMap to Building Inspections Department

Address: 4005 Cromwell Road Chattanooga, TN 37421

Hours of operation: 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Except for these holidays

Phone number: 423-209-7860 and FAX number: 423-209-7861


Note: The following links will open to another government website or government-affiliated page in a new tab.