Engineering Department

Please call our dedicated “Project Hotline” phone number: (423) 209-7899. Leave a detailed message, name, and return phone number. Your call will be answered within the next business day.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Who do I contact to obtain a burning permit?
Answer: Chattanooga/Hamilton County Air Pollution Control Bureau

Question: Does Hamilton County provide trash service?
Answer: No, Hamilton County does not provide trash or brush pick up, you must contact a private carrier.

Question: Where are the landfills located?
Answer: All landfills are operated by the City of Chattanooga. Contact 311 for help.

Question: Where would I get a septic tank permit or get information concerning a “perk test”?
Answer: The Building Inspections page and application

Question: What are the Drainage Standards for new construction?
Answer: Call our dedicated “Project Hotline” phone number: (423) 209-7899

Question: Where can I find information on flooding?
Answer: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Hazard Mapping

Question: Where can I go regarding my Drainage Problems caused by new subdivisions in Hamilton County?
Answer: Call our dedicated “Project Hotline” phone number: (423) 209-7899

Question: What permits need to be obtained for road work?
Answer: Utility Application / Road Cut Permit (Online Form)

Question: Who is in charge of maintenance of roads in Hamilton County and Road Cut Permits?
Answer: Highway Department (423) 855-6100

Question: Where would I find vehicular traffic counts for Tennessee roads?
Answer: TDOT Project Planning

Question: Where would I find a list of speed limits for Tennessee roads?
Answer: Master List of Roads and Speed Limits (PDF Format)

Question: How do I obtain a Land Disturbance Permit from Hamilton County?
Answer: Apply Here

About the Engineering Department

The Hamilton County Engineering Department provides engineering and administration services to the properties and projects of Hamilton County. Reviews all subdivisions to make sure all subdivision regulations are met with respect to roadway construction and drainage; reviews subdivision plats for correctness; prepares cost estimates and plans for traffic signs, signals and striping; maintains a record of all County roads and publishes a yearly road book; issues road cut permits for utilities in county roads and inspects cut-ins; responds to and investigates storm drainage complaints; maintains a computerized accident record system; testifies in lawsuits with respect to various Public Works problems; prepares all necessary documents for long range transportation planning for the Metropolitan Planning Organization; prepares design plans and specifications and provides construction administration of miscellaneous projects in Hamilton County; administers design contracts by outside consultants.

  • Provide surveys, designs, plan preparation and construction documents for County road projects, recreation projects, bridge and storm drainage needs, sewer projects, industrial parks, office building renovations, small building projects, traffic improvements, etc.
  • Provide for the administration of architect and engineer contracts and of construction contracts, both grant funded and non-grant funded.
  • Administrate County contracted architect and engineering services to provide the most cost effective way to construct roads, bridges, buildings, etc.
  • Provide solutions to drainage problems; coordinate troubleshooting of drainage problems with the Highway Department and Water Quality Program, schedule field inspections as necessary to assure that the recommended solution is carried out.
  • Monitor the construction of new subdivisions to assure compliance with subdivision regulations. Work in conjunction with the Planning Commission in reviewing subdivision plats.

Address & Contact Information

Google MapsDirections to the Engineering Department

Address: 4005 Cromwell Road Chattanooga, TN 37405

Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Except for these holidays

Phone number: 423-209-7899 and FAX number: 423-209-7811

Note: The following links will open to another government website or government-affiliated page in a new tab.